Salesforce is a data-centric platform. It deals with valuable data sets that are important for your business and helps you in managing the same in a fast, automated, and effective manner.
It is extremely important to manage your data adequately as it is the soul of any CRM platform. You cannot afford to make mistakes as the smallest mishaps may have lasting implications.
Problems Arising With Incorrect Data Upload
One of the most fundamental yet overlooked processes in data management is that of data upload. When you import data into Salesforce from any internal or external source, it is important to make sure that correct and adequate data is transferred onto the platform.
Here are some of the common problems that would arise due to faulty and messy uploading of data into Salesforce:
If access of the Salesforce data uploader tool is given to everyone without restricting the access to the permissions, there are very high chances of your data getting leaked.
If your valuable data goes into the hands of someone who is not supposed to access the same, they might copy key elements of your database, causing an unauthorized leak in your database.
If you are feeding your Salesforce instance with incorrect data without keeping any check of the same, you are likely to put all your business processes in jeopardy.
Salesforce is all about recording, tracking, and analyzing data. If you tend to upload wrong data into your org, it would process the same and affect every process carried out using that data adversely.
Unchecked API Access
The fire of incorrect and unsafe data can be fuelled if all users are given API access. Everyone having this access is capable of connecting to different API platforms and import/export unwanted data. This is why it is important to limit the API provided by the Admin to the users.
All these issues hamper smooth data management and cause a variety of problems for your Salesforce instance.
Keeping all these and many more problems in mind, OQCT has developed an application for a faster, more secure, and efficient data upload onto your Salesforce instance with the Data Upload app.
What Is The Data Upload App?
As the name rightly suggests, the Data Upload App is an application developed for helping Salesforce users in uploading the right data sets onto their database in an easy and secure manner.
Ideal For Non-technical Users
This application is a Salesforce data uploader designed especially for users who possess little to no knowledge of professional programming and coding. The user interface of the Data Upload app is kept extremely simple and hassle-free, making it possible for any Salesforce user to add files to their database.
This is where the application stands out against its peers, especially Salesforce Data Loader. Data Loader is a more complicated application for importing data onto the platform of Salesforce which might be difficult for users having no programming knowledge.
Data Loader is more suited for the Salesforce Administrators who are well-versed with the nitty-gritty and technical details of the CRM platform. On the other hand, the Data Loader app is developed for Salesforce users.
Allowing Admin To Restrict Access
Keeping the matter of utmost data security in mind, the Data Upload app allows the Salesforce Admin to restrict the objects every user is allowed to access. This way, every user does not have access to all data, keeping it more secure and avoiding problems like data leaks.
For example, if an Admin wants a particular Salesforce user to access Leads and Contacts only, they can easily restrict the access give to the concerned user. The user will now only be able to choose files from the two Salesforce objects (Leads and Contacts) for uploading to the database.
How To Upload Data Onto Salesforce Using The Data Upload App?
The Data Upload app allows you to upload CSV and Excel files to specific objects within your Salesforce database in a faster and easier way.
Follow these simple steps if you want to import data into Salesforce using the Data Upload app:
1. Firstly, check the file(s) you want to upload before going ahead with the process. Examine the data, the required fields, data length, data type, duplicates, validation rules, date/time format, restricted picklist, and all relevant aspects to ensure the correct transfer of data.
2. Open the Data Upload app
3. Click on “One Time Data Upload”. This option will allow you to upload your files in real-time as a one-time upload. You can also schedule the uploading of your files by setting a specific upload time by clicking on “Schedule Data Upload”.
4. Now, select the action you want to perform. Here, you can select the object, fields, and records you want to upload onto your database.
5. You will now be provided with a box where you can drag the files you are willing to upload. You can also click on the box and select the files you want to upload from their source.
6. Once the files are added, click on “Upload” to add the files onto your Salesforce org. If the upload file is too big, the app will split the files and store them within your database, which may take time depending on the speed of your system.
7. Click on “Next” to continue.
8. Now, the application will automatically map the fields of your files. If the CSV Header and the Salesforce API name is the same, the app will show that your files have been mapped. If you are willing to make changes, you can click on the new field and change the credentials. The app will look for the fields that need to be added to the concerned object and show the same to you in the form of red boxes.
9. Once you are done with mapping the fields, click on “Save” to save the progress and “Next” to move forward with the upload.
10. Now, the app will show you a preview of the data to be uploaded onto your database. However, you will only be able to see and review 100 records at any point in time. You can edit these records by double-clicking on them and making the relevant changes.
11. Finally, click on “Insert” to import data into Salesforce in a Queue.
12. Once the upload process is completed, you will receive an email from the app about the success of the upload or errors occurring in the same. You can track the upload by clicking on “File Upload History.”
The Rollback And Delete Features
The Data Upload app makes sure that you are able to upload data onto your Salesforce org in a flexible manner. Two of the most important features provided by the app to the users are those of rollback and delete.
It is common for a user to make mistakes while uploading files to the Salesforce database. They might end up uploading the wrong files. Also, some files may lose importance over time and are not necessary to stay in the database.
With the help of the rollback feature, you can undo the upload of one or more files if you happen to upload the wrong ones within your Salesforce object. The delete option allows you to delete the files you upload to keep your database crisp and correct.
How To Create User Permissions In The Data Upload App?
This segment is important for a Salesforce Admin. The Admin is provided with the power of providing specific permissions to the users and limiting their access to upload files in specific objects only.
The application allows administrators to provide specific permissions to different users for carrying out specific processes with the uploaded data.
As an Admin, you can create user permissions in the Data Upload app by following these simple steps:
1. Start by creating a user account in Salesforce.
2. Assign a profile and permission to this user account.
3. Go to the Data Upload app and click on User Permission.
4. Click on the option of “Create New User”.
5. Select the user for whom you want to create permissions.
6. Enable additional permissions for the user. These permissions are “Delete Upload File Permission”, “Delete Record Permission”, “Rollback Permission”, “Schedule Upload Permission”, and “Objects Accessible (API)”.
7. Select the Salesforce objects you want the users to upload their files to.
8. Click on “Save” to complete the process.
A Native Salesforce Application
This is what makes the Data Upload app different from other Salesforce data upload options. For using the application, you do not need to visit a third-party platform or server. All the data managed by you using this application stays within your Salesforce org.
This makes all your processes completely safe and secure. Also, the application is compliant with the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) laws, making the users rest assured that their data is imported using the right application.